Wednesday, April 23, 2008

HILARY WINS IN PA!

I had exactly fifteen minutes between the time that I finished giving the kids dinner before they went off to CCD, and the time that I had to be back at home take our exchange student to a prom meeting at her high school, to drive to the polls and cast my vote in the PA Primary.

Why didn't you go during the day? My husband asked.

Ha! I laughed. Even though over the years he has become smart enough not to say so, I still think he believes that I do very little during the day. Unfortunately, I didn't have a spare second all day long to go vote, much less to take a shower.

I had to drop my daughter off at school in the a.m. and then pick up by one o'clock (she is in pre-k). My ten old son was home from school sick. The baby was here and in need of meals, snacks and nap time. The school secretary from our exchange student's high school called to tell me about the prom meeting at seven. My six year old came off the bus with a bag full of homework to complete, and he had to be ready for CCD by six fifteen. My oldest daughter had to be picked up at quarter to five from Lacrosse practice. I had to shower and get ready for the meeting at the high school and also cook dinner, entertain two little girls, and help the boys with homework, and make up classwork that my older son was sent since he was home sick.

Why didn't I vote during the day? It's a good question.

Fortunately, when I arrived at the polls, there was absolutely no line. I was able to get in and out in less than fifteen minutes, and I was in fact, home with time, maybe a minute, to spare. While I was at the polls, I was approached by both an Obama supporter and a Clinton supporter. I took literature and a sticker for Hillary, and on my way home while I was stopped at a traffic light, I gazed at the materials. For some reason, the sticker looked surreal to me. It was red, white and blue, and it said "Hillary for President." It reminded me of something you might find in an American Girl catalog, or something a kid would give out if she was running for president of her class.

Hillary, a woman, is running for president of the United States. Of course, I have known this for a while, but at that moment, looking at that sticker, it sort of hit me all at once, it was real.

I have to tell you that I live in a divided household. My husband is a registered Republican. My oldest daughter likes Obama. The only other Hillary fan in my household is my five year old daughter, Isabelle. For some reason, probably because she is a momma's girl, she is very excited about Hillary.

As I was driving home, I was thinking about how amazing it is that my daughters will grow up in a time where women can run for president, and be formidable opponents of men. When I was little girl, in the late seventies and early eighties: men were Doctors and women were nurses, boys played sports and girls did ballet, Dads went to work and moms stayed home and cooked and cleaned and took care of the kids.

I am sahm, and I completely appreciate the value of my job as such. Just the other night, a mother of one said to me "I can't imagine what it is like with five, you must completely loose your identity." At one point in my life such a statement would have made me furious, but I simply smiled and said calmly, "um, I wouldn't exactly say that." Being a stay at home mom can be as fulfilling and demanding a job, if not more, than any other job in the workforce. Nevertheless, I think it is a wonderful world when women can be whatever they want.

No comments: