Thursday, April 24, 2008

IT'S NOT THURSDAY AGAIN?!

When I woke up this morning and turned on the t.v. to check the weather report, I could not believe that the five-day forecast started with Thursday. Today is Thursday! I am turning into my mother.

She can never believe what time it is. We'll be somewhere, anywhere-at my house, at her house, out for a walk, out to lunch, or on the sidelines of the kids soccer field, and she'll say to me, because she rarely wears her watch, " WHAT TIME IS IT?"

I look at my watch and answer her. It's 9:30; 10:30; 5 o'clock, or 8 o'clock, it doesn't actually matter what time it is, her response is ALWAYS the same. "It's not (5,6,7,or whatever time it is) o'clock?

I can't for the life of me imagine why she would think that I would lie to her about the time. What would my possible motivation be for doing so? Do I secretly want to throw off her schedule? Does she think that I am trying to detain her? I don't know, but I always, "Yes, it really is whatever time it actually is, and then to prove to her that I am not trying to deceive her about the actual time, I show her my watch. She usually sighs and says "I can't believe it."

The other day we took my aunt, her sister, out to lunch. She is older and her health isn't great, so we thought it would be a nice thing to do. We picked her up at her house at about 11:30. We drove to the restaurant, had a leisurely lunch, and then drove my Aunt back to her house. On the way home from Aunt's house, she sat in the front seat of my car, where my aunt had previously been sitting. She looked at my car clock. "This isn't right" she said to me pointing at the clock.

"Um, yeah, it is."
"It's not 2 o'clock?"

I thought to myself, this has to stop. "How is it", I say, indignantly," that the time is always a surprise to you? Don't ever have an idea of what time it is?" I went through the events of the afternoon. "What time did you think it was?"

My mom laughed at herself, recognizing what a ridiculous habit she had adopted. I sat smugly in the driver's seat, thinking to myself, man she is losing it. I hope I never get like that.

And then, this morning, I was surprised that it was Thursday. I knew full well last night when I went to bed that it was Wednesday, nevertheless, Thursday was a complete surprise. I suppose that' s what I get for being smug. No matter how old you get, I suppose, you shouldn't talk back to your mother.

No comments: